Topic: Halswell Community Hall, 450 Halswell Road

Topic type:

The Halswell Community Hall has been a focus for community activities in the Halswell area since 1913.

 The Halswell Community Hall has been a focus for community activities in the Halswell area since 1913.  It was opened on 20 June 1913 by 
the  then Post-Master General, Heaton Rhodes who had donated all the timber for the hall and
The Press the next day provided a full account of the opening attended by 200 residents, reporting that “The hall is a handsome structure of brick, finished in wood, and is built on half an acre of land which was acquired at a cost of £ 100” - Press, 21 June 1913, p5.   It was known as the Halswell Public Hall.

Public meetings, cooking demonstrations, concerts, dances, farewells almost any community event was held in the hall over the years.  Many other community groups use the hall regularly and it provides a hireable venue for private functions.

In 2010 the hall had received a major refurbishment only to be badly damaged in the September earthquake.  Fortunately it was well-insured and was able to be restored. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Halswell Community Hall, 450 Halswell Road


City:Christchurch
Suburb :Halswell
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Halswell Community Hall, 450 Halswell Road by SueC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License