Topic: Henry Guy Fearon

Topic type:

Henry Guy Fearon (Service No. 10/704) was a First World War soldier with links to Burwood

Henry Guy Fearon Henry Guy Fearon was born on the 17th January 1885 in Christchurch.  He was the third son of Henry William Fearon and Marion Fearon and the grandson of the Reverend William Charles Fearon M.A. who was for some time, vicar of St Luke's Church, Christchurch. His siblings are William Barnes Fearon (born 1881), Richards Charles Fearon (born 1882), Ann Fearon (born 1887), Greta Forge Fearon (born 1889) and Arnold Edwin Fearon (born 1892).

He was educated at Burwood School and Christchurch Boys' High School, where he was in the Christchurch Boys' High School Cadets. Before the war he was a self-employed bushman.

Henry was described in his military records as 5ft 10, 160 pounds with a fair complexion, grey eyes and brown hair. He enlisted in New Plymouth on the 17th August 1914 – 14th October 1914 in the 11th (Taranaki) Rifle Company, Wellington Infantry Battalion. He embarked on the 15th October 1914 and arrived 3rd December 1914 in Suez, Egypt.

He fought in the Gallipoli campaign. On 1st May 1915 Henry suffered a gunshot wound to his left foot in action. He was transferred to Mustapha Convalescent Camp in Alexandria on 12th May 1915. He then returned to his battalion on 29th May 1915.

The Evening Post (Issue 135, 9 June 1915, Page 2) stated Henry was wounded and in Victoria College Hospital. It is unknown whether this was due to a new injury or as a result of the gunshot wound to his foot previously. He was discharged from hospital 21st June 1915. He was sent back to the front and re-joined his battalion 3rd August 1915.

Henry was killed in action in the August Offensive on the 8th August 1915 in Gallipoli, Turkey. He has no grave and is listed on the Chunuk Bair Memorial to the Missing.

The main attack of the August offensive was made by a mixed New Zealand, Australian, British and Indian force against the heights of Chunuk Bair and nearby peaks. It was believed that if these positions could be captured and held, then the Turkish line at Anzac would be in danger and a breakout towards the Dardanelles possible. On 8th August the Wellington Battalion, which included Henry, advanced to Chunuk Bair and were successful in capturing it. However the casualties suffered were huge. By the time the men were relieved only 70 of the 760 who went came back unharmed. The rest were either killed or wounded.

Henry is remembered on the Onehunga War Memorial Swimming Pool and Onehunga Arch of Remembrance, Midhurst War Memorial Gate, Chunuk Bair (New Zealand) Memorial and the Burwood War Memorial. On 22nd September 1920, Henry was issued with the 1914-15 Star, which was sent to his father.

Two of Henry's brothers also served in the war but only one returned, the other, Arnold Edwin Fearon (24/1376) was killed.

Related resources


  • Portrait - Canterbury Times, 22 September 1915
  • ROLL OF HONOUR. Evening Post, Volume LXXXIX, Issue 135, 9 June 1915, Page 2

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Henry Guy Fearon

First Names:Henry Guy
Last Name:Fearon
Place of Birth:Christchurch