Topic: Christchurch Botanic Gardens

Topic type:

Located in the Central City and established in 1863 within a loop of the Avon River, the Christchurch Botanic Gardens are one of Christchurch’s best loved places.

Peace Bell structure

Established in 1863 within a loop of the Avon River, the Christchurch Botanic Gardens have always been once of Christchurch’s best loved places.

The establishment of Town Reserves, Hagley Park and the Government Domain (now the Botanic Gardens) was included as part of the Canterbury Association’s plan for the settlement of Christchurch. Approximately 500 acres on the west of the central town area is shown as the site of Hagley Park in the famous 1850 Black Maps of Christchurch. Hagley Park was named after the country estate of Lord Lyttelton, chairman of the Canterbury Association.

In 1855 when the new Provincial Government took over the role of the Canterbury Association, a law was passed which said that, the land commonly known as Hagley Park, shall be reserved forever as a public park, and shall be open for the recreation and enjoyment of the public.

The gardens cover 21.14 hectares with extensive collections of indigenous and exotic plants as well as propagation and educaitonal facilities and a children's playground.

 In 2013 the gardens celebrated their 150th anniversary and a new visitor centre and staff facilities, including nurseries & greenhouses, were opened by by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Related

Christchurch Botanic Gardens homepage

 

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Christchurch Botanic Gardens


City:Christchurch