Topic: Christchurch Boys High School

Topic type:

Christchurch Boys High School was established in 1881 in Worcester street on the site of what is now the Arts Centre of Christchurch. The site was shared with its sister school, Christchurch Girls' High School.

   

By the 1920s it had outgrown this site and moved to 121 Stra ven Road in Riccarton.   Twenty-eight acres and several farm buildings from the Deans' Estate were acquired as part of the school.   For many years Boys' High was the only state boys school in the city until Shirley Boys' High opened in the east of the city in 1957.

Christchurch Boys' High School, September 2009

Related Resources:

Christchurch Boys' High school web site

Publications & photographs in the Christchurch City Libraries collection

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Christchurch Boys High School


City:Christchurch
Suburb :Fendalton and Riccarton