Topic: Loss of a Landmark in Papanui

Topic type:

The Papanui Building stood on the corner of Harewood and the Main North Roads for 100 years but succumbed to damage sustained in the first and second Christchurch earthquakes.

The Papanui Building was built by Robert Rickerby in 1911. Rickerby ran a cycle business from premises on the Main North Road between Sawyers Arms and Vagues Roads before opening a shop in his new building. The Rickerby family  were farmers in the Halswell area and Robert farmed land in Radcliffe Road Belfast prior to running his cycle business.

 Above the ground floor shops were living accommodation rooms and a Billiards Parlour at the Main North Road end. In the 1950's a single story extension was added to the Main North Road end of the building which saw service for many years as Suter's Auction rooms. Dozens of businesses operated from the Papanui Building over the decades and prior to the opening of the Northland Mall, Papanui was the main shopping area in north western Christchurch.

The building suffered structural damage with many of the shop frontage windows being blown out in the large earthquake of September 4th 2010. At this point the future seemed uncertain until the second large earthquake of February 22nd 2011 when severe damage occurred. The damage was so severe that the authorities ordered immediate demolition which commenced on February 24th 2011.

Read the booklet, An obituary for a Papanui Centenarian,  prepared by the Papanui Heitage Group, May 2011.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Loss of a Landmark in Papanui


City:Christchurch
Source :Papanui Heritage Grou[
Suburb :Papanui