Topic: Edmonds' Telephone Cabinet

Topic type:

Built in 1929 as part of the River Bank Improvement Scheme with contributions made by Thomas Edmonds.

In 1929, to celebrate fifty years of living in Christchurch, Thomas J. Edmonds (1858-1932), the founder of Edmonds' Baking Powder, financed the construction of a clock tower and telephone cabinet. The site chosen for both of them was originally the intersection of Madras Street, Chester Street and Oxford Terrace.

Both structures were designed by Francis Willis, and constructed by the Rennell Brothers. The sculptor was William Thomas Tretheway, who was also responsible for the statue of Captain Cook in Victoria Square.

Edmonds originally envisioned a covered walkway with not only a telephone cabinet but also a drinking fountain and a letter box. The design for a semi circular building was chosen instead.

Resources

References

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion