Topic: Edmonds' Clock Tower

Topic type:

Built in 1929 as part of the River Bank Improvement Scheme with contributions made by Thomas Edmonds.

The Edmonds' Clock Tower is situated at 295F Madras Street, on the southern banks of the Avon River.

In 1929, to celebrate fifty years of living in Christchurch, Thomas J. Edmonds (1858-1932), the founder of Edmonds' Baking Powder, financed the construction of a clock tower and telephone cabinet. The site chosen for both of them was originally the intersection of Madras Street, Chester Street and Oxford Terrace.

Both structures were designed by Francis Willis, and constructed by the Rennell Brothers. The sculptor was William Thomas Tretheway, who was also responsible for the statue of Captain Cook in Victoria Square.

The foundation stone was laid on 26 September 1929, on the same day as the unveiling of the foundation stones for the nearby Radiant Hall and Band Rotunda.

The stone used in the construction of the clock tower came from Halswell, Rakaia Gorge, Glenmore, Otira Gorge, Lake Kanieri, Heathcote Valley, Buller Gorge, Banks Peninsula, Connemara in Ireland and the Vatican, while Oamaru stone was used for the facing.

The clock faces are found on the eastern and western facades of the clock tower, while the northern and southern facades feature medallions displaying Father Time, who resembles Thomas Edmonds, styled as a Roman Emperor.

On each side is a band featuring one of the four words: Faith, Hope, Peace, Charity. Situated between these, at each corner, are four gargoyles holding lights in their mouths.

Damaged during the Canterbury Earthquakes, the Edmonds' Clock Tower underwent repairs during 2013-2015.

Resources

References

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion