Topic: Marshland Public Hall

Topic type:

The Marshland Hall, opened in 1907, was a vital focal point in the Marshland community.

The present day Marshland Public Hall was constructed and opened in 1907 after one year of intensive fundraising by the local community. According to Mr J R Walter's speech at the opening of the new hall, the idea to construct a public hall was first discussed amongst locals sometime in the early 1890's. But even though most residents were in favour, the idea was abandoned. Marshland Hall, 430 Marshland Road

In 1906 a public meeting was held at Marshland School to discuss the idea again. Despite many residents not being enthusiastic, the meeting resolved to go ahead and organise a hall fundraising committee. Mr J R Walter was elected chairman and with the generosity of a few local benefactors the fundraising effort made significant progress. In September 1906 a meeting of subscribers decided the £150 raised was enough to proceed with the building of the hall and that it would be located on Mr Alexander's section facing Canal (Marshland) Road near the school. In April 1907 from the ten tenders submitted, the Committee chose Henshall & Son of Papanui for the contract. The Committee requested Mrs C G Dalgety perform the honour of laying the foundation stone on Friday 3 May.

Ceremonial trowel used for laying the foundation stoneThe hall was officiMarshland Hall - Laying the foundation stoneally opened on Thursday 27 June 1907 by Mr C G Dalgety (steward of the Canterbury Jockey Club,  trustee of the Riccarton Racecourse Reserve and resident of Marshland). The hall had cost £350 and the entire project around £500.

One of the first functions that took place in the new hall was the annual ball of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles on 25 July 1907. It  was attended by the regiment's officers and over 70 couples.

The new hall would serve the Marshland community for many years for social and recreation purposes. During the First World War it was used for many fundraising efforts as well as for farewell and welcome home socials for the many young Marshland men who served during the war.

In 1915 the Marshland Patriotic Committee was set up for the purpose of organising the farewell social functions for the departing men, fundraising for various war related causes and to unveil a photographic roll of honour for those men who had departed for active service. There were to be thirteen photographic group portraits unveiled by the end of the war, each featuring six men. The photographic Roll of Honour was mounted on the front wall by the entrance to the hall until early 2016.*

Soon after the War, the Marshland Patriotic Society planned for a marble memorial slab to beUNveiling of the Marshland Memorial gatesplaced inside the hall which would list the namesof the local men who had made the supreme sacrifice. However there were various opinions about the most appropriate form for a memorial and it was decided to defer the unveiling until a consensus on the memorial had been formed. Eventually it  was decided to set the marble memorial slab into masonry gates in front of the hall. The Hall Committee considered several design proposals before deciding on that of Mr Winsor. The unveiling took place on 18 January 1925 in the presence of many former soldiers of the district and the public.

 

 

 

*In early 2016 the Roll of Honour photo portraits were taken down and handed to the Christchurch RSA on indefinite loan and for safe keeping by the Marshland Hall Trust.

 References

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Marshland Public Hall


Materials:Wood
City:Christchurch
Name:Marshland Hall
Suburb :Marshland