Sunnyside Hospital, Hillmorton, January 1977

Original Filename: Sunnyside_Hospital._Hillmorton_Christchurch_January_197__55_.JPG (view)

Original Size: 645.8 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Sunnyside Hospital, Hillmorton, January 1977.

Caption

Images from the collection of Kevin Hill

Sunnyside Hospital, Christchurch’s first mental asylum, was opened in 1863. It was built to house those who were considered insane, until then held at Lyttelton jail. The hospital was closed in 1999 and demolition began on its last building in late April 2007, to make way for a Ngāi Tahu housing development.

Sunnyside’s main buildings were constructed in the 1870s from designs by Benjamin Mountfort, one of New Zealand’s leading Victorian Gothic architects. The John Campbell-designed administration building (pictured below), the last to be demolished, was added in 1892.

Source: Christhcurch City Libraries:Heritage pages.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion