Topic: St Luke's Anglican Church, 185 Kilmore Street

Topic type:

Brief Historical Background

The parish of St Luke the Evangelist, Christchurch grew out of the parish of St Michael & All Angels, Christchurch.

A wooden church was opened in December 1859 and consecrated in June 1869.

A Halswell bluestone replacement building, designed by Cyril Mountfort, son of BW Mountfort, was opened on 13 October, 1909.

The church had a category 2 rating from the Historic Places Trust. It suffered massive damage from the September 2010 and February 2011 earthquakes and was subsequently de-consecrated on 10 April, 2011 and demolished in October 2011.

A wooden bell tower still remains on the site.

Related

St Luke's in the City website

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

St Luke's Anglican Church, 185 Kilmore Street


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
St Luke's Anglican Church, 185 Kilmore Street by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License