Topic: Ferry Road Law Centre, 697 Ferry Road, Christchurch

Topic type:

Built 1908. Demolished 2001

The former Woolston Post Office was built in 1908-09 to replace an earlier post office building on the same site.  Built in a design of the Public Works department it is thought to be one of the designs by John Campbell who was the government architect from 1899 – 1922.  To help meet the demand for public architecture necessitated by the expansion of government services under the Liberal Government, Campbell produced a range of standard designs. Most of the 350 or so post office buildings executed by Campbell and his colleagues were therefore variations on a theme - characteristically with exposed eaves and windows with a divided top sash.  The Woolston Post Office, designed in a free Edwardian Baroque style, executed in pebbled-dash brick with a tower, was one of the grander of the designs, as befitted one of Christchurch’s larger suburbs. 

The post office served for only 50 years until 1963 when it became the police station.  The building was sold to a solicitor in 1988 and became the Woolston Law Centre, which it remained until it was damaged by the September 4 2010 earthquake.  The building is large scale, and its prominent location and relationship with surrounding heritage buildings, gives it landmark significance on Ferry Road.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Ferry Road Law Centre, 697 Ferry Road, Christchurch


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Ferry Road Law Centre, 697 Ferry Road, Christchurch by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License