Topic: St David's Church, 831 Main North Road, Belfast

Topic type:

The first Anglican church, which also served as a school, was built in circa 1855 in an area then known as Purarekanui, which was renamed Belfast in the 1880s. Initially known as the Main North Road Church or St John’s, this church was part of the Papanui Parish for nearly 50 years.

St David's ChurchWith the opening of freezing works and other associated industries from the 1880s, the population of the district grew and Belfast was constituted a parish with its own minister in 1899. Although the old church was extended around this time, it proved inadequate, and vestryman William Nicholls, proprietor of the Kaputone Wool Scour, provided funds for a new building. Architect Samuel Hurst Seager was commissioned to design the new church. Initially to be built of brick, St David’s was constructed in timber and concrete because of financial constraints. St David's, as it was named by parishioners, was opened in 1903 and consecrated in 1912.

The old church was converted to a Sunday School, serving this purpose until its demolition in 1947. The church site was subdivided in 1981, and the church lounge was moved and joined to the west elevation with a new foyer the following year. Consequently  the  building  has  little  curtilage.  In  front  of  the  church are established trees and lawns; at the rear, the church meeting room and a sealed carpark. To the north is the former vicarage; to the south some older housing facing on to the Main North  Road.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

St David's Church, 831 Main North Road, Belfast


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
St David's Church, 831 Main North Road, Belfast by CityScape is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License