Topic: Weston House, 62 Park Terrace

Topic type:

Weston House was built in 1923-24 by George Weston, a city solicitor and well-known member of Canterbury society. Weston commissioned well-known architect Cecil Wood to design the Georgian Revival house.

Weston House was one of his earlier Georgian Revival designs and is regarded as one of his most successful. The two-storey triple brick house relates directly to English Georgian Revival houses. The house is symmetrical in its facade with a shallow single storey portico on paired columns. The facade has symmetrically arranged multi-paned sash windows and a hipped slate roof with two dormers. When Weston took his prospective bride to view the house she approved of the plan but requested somewhere to sit in the afternoons. Wood thus added a sunroom over the attached garage, set back from the north wall of the dining room. The front half of the south wall is built to the street boundary on Peterborough Street. This section contains the chimney and two bricked window recesses, designed for privacy but also a reference to the window tax that was in place in Britain during the Georgian period and which resulted in false windows on the sides of detached houses. The interior of the building has a rational Georgian layout with a central hallway opening on either side into the dining room and formal living room. The restraint of the exterior is continued on the interior with an elegant simplicity maintained in the decorative detailing. In 1986 the east wing facing Peterborough Street was converted into a self-contained flat for Michael Weston and his wife by Warren and Mahoney. A new entrance was created from Peterborough Street. 

George and Maude Weston raised their three children in the house, with Maude remaining there following her husbands death in 1957. The house was transferred to sons, Michael and George Weston in 1977. It was not until 1994 that the house was sold outside of the family, having been owned by the Weston’s for 70 years.

The current owners  lived in the property since they purchased it in 1997. Stephanie and Len May renovated and maintained the property which today operates as a boutique bed and breakfast.

Badly damaged in the 22nd February earthquakes it was demolished.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion