Topic: St Mary's Anglican Church, 329 Halswell Road

Topic type:

St Mary's Anglican Church in Halswell was built in 1863, the first church to be built on the plains south of the city.

St Mary's, Halswell -  329 Halswell Road, 14 March 2011 # 1 St Mary's Anglican Church in Halswell was designed by Benjamin Mountfort and built in 1863, the first church to be built on the plains south of the city.

It is built of Halswell stone from the local quarry and black pine and totora pit sawn from Kennedys Bush and contains fine stained glass windows.

The present pipe organ, which is a memorial to soldiers from the Tai Tapu killed in both world wars, was gifted from the Tai Tapu Methodist Church in 1990 when that church closed to join the Lincoln Uniting Parish.

Related

The web site of the Anglican Parish of Halswell Prebbleton  gives a brief history of the church.

Penney, Phyllis E. St Mary's on the Halswell was published by the church in 2003.

Christchurch City Libraries holds transcripts of baptismal, marriage and burial registers of the church from 1856 - 1963.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

St Mary's Anglican Church, 329 Halswell Road


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
St Mary's Anglican Church, 329 Halswell Road by CityScape is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License