Topic: Former Whitcombe and Tombs – 111 Cashel Street

Topic type:

The building was built circa 1914 on the site of the businesses first premises.  It was built primarily for retail, professional and commercial office use - Whitcombe and Tombs occupied only part of the ground floor of the new building when it was erected.  In 1914-15 there were nine professional and trades occupants of the upper floors of the building.  Hannah’s shoe store was a long terms occupant of the building on the ground floor.  In the 1920s and 30s Hastie, Bull and Pickering, hardware importers, occupied one of the ground floor shops.  From c1925 to at least 1957 the building was known as Whitcombes Building.  Whitcombe and Tombs merged with Coulls Somerville Wilkie in 1971 to form Whitcoulls.  Until demolition the building provided office space for a number of tenants on the upper floors, with Whitcoulls retail store occupying the ground floor. 

The building was designed by the Christchurch firm Collins and Harman. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion