Topic: Durham Street Methodist Church

Topic type:

The Durham Street Methodist Church opened on Christmas Day 1864.

Built of Halswell stone it was the first church to be erected in permanent materials in Canterbury and was Gothic Revival in style. It was designed by the Melbourne architectural firm, Crouch and Wilson, who won the 1863 competition for the design of the new church.

The church was a significant example of early ecclesiastical architecture in Christchurch.

Severely damaged in the 2010/2011 earthquakes it was demolished.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion