Topic: Christchurch Womens Hospital, 885 Colombo Street

Topic type:

Built in 1952, and now demolished Christchurch Women’s Hospital at 885 Colombo Street covered a block between Colombo Street and Durham Street.

There has been a women’s hospital in Christchurch since 1906, when a converted public house in Durham Street was established as St Helen’s hospital.

After significant debate and controversy a decision was made to construct what later became known as “ Christchurch Women’s in Colombo Street.

The Hospital Board of the time opposed the idea to relocate it to the current site.

In 1952, the new hospital initially focused on obstetrics, with only three cots available for premature babies within the Canterbury region.

In 1968, the hospital came under the umbrella of the North Canterbury Board which decided to operate a dedicated women’s hospital as a “pilot scheme”.   The name of the Colombo St site was changed to Christchurch Women’s, to reflect the emphasis on women’s health and servicing the needs of the women of Canterbury.

The hospital was closed at 10 am March 30 2005,

It sat empty for several years and was them demolished in September 2008.

New hospital now situated at the Main Central City site.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Christchurch Womens Hospital, 885 Colombo Street


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Christchurch Womens Hospital, 885 Colombo Street by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License