Topic: Stanmore Road, Christchurch

Topic type:

Runs from Tuam Street to North Avon Road.

Runs from Tuam Street to North Avon Road.

Named after Little Stanmore in Middlesex.

The Rev. G. B. Tuson, an original land-owner from Little Stanmore in Middlesex, bought Rural Section 175, 50 acres in “Stanmore Road, East of Christchurch” so Stanmore Road was named by 1851. The Rev. Charles Richard Mackie (1798-1882) is living at Stricklands, on Stanmore Road, in 1853.

Stanmore Road is first mentioned in street directories in 1872 and appears on an 1879 map.

Origin of name from Christchurch Street and Place Names

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Stanmore Road, Christchurch


City:Christchurch