Topic: Antigua Street, Christchurch

Topic type:

Named after Antigua, a colonial bishopric, Antigua in the West Indies.

Named after Antigua, a colonial bishopric, Antigua in the West Indies.

Named by surveyors Captain Joseph Thomas (b. 1803?) and Edward Jollie (1825-1894).

One of the original streets of Christchurch named in 1850. The names were taken from bishoprics listed in Burke's Peerage.

First mentioned in The Lyttelton Times in 1852 when 1/4 acre sections are advertised for sale there.

The section of the street south of Moorhouse Avenue was also formerly named Windmill Road.

Windmill Road as an alternative name appears in an advertisement in the Star in 1868. Officially re-named Antigua Street in 1909.

The windmill was moved to Leithfield where it became Leith’s Mill.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Antigua Street, Christchurch


City:Christchurch