Topic: Colombo Street - Christchurch Street

Topic type:

Named after a colonial Anglican bishopric in Ceylon.

Named after a colonial Anglican bishopric in Ceylon.

Named in 1850 by surveyors Captain Joseph Thomas (b. 1803?), and Edward Jollie (1825-1894).

One of the original Christchurch streets named in 1850. The names were taken from bishoprics listed in Burke's Peerage.

First mentioned in The Lyttelton Times in 1852 when 1/4 acre sections are advertised for sale there. It is shown on the 1850 plan of Christchurch as Colombo Street from Salisbury Street to St Asaph Street. South of the South Belt (Moorhouse Avenue) it was named Colombo Road ; north of the North Belt (Bealey Avenue)

Origin of name from Christchurch Street and Place Names

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Colombo Street - Christchurch Street


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Colombo Street - Christchurch Street by CityScape is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License