Topic: St Martins

Topic type:

Named after St Martins, the 140 hectare farm there owned by Henry Phillips (1804/05-1877) and his family.

Named after St Martins, the 140 hectare farm there owned by Henry Phillips (1804/05-1877) and his family.

Phillips probably named his farm in memory of a great gathering in St Martin’s Hall, London, in 1850, shortly before the departure of the Canterbury Pilgrims. Phillips arrived in Canterbury in 1850 on the Sir George Seymour and bought Rural Section 16, 100 acres, “South Bank Heathcote, Hills Road”, Rural Section 54, 50 acres “Heathcote, Hills Road”, Rural Section 69, 100 acres "East of the Town Reserve, Christchurch, Ferry Road" and Rural Section 73, 50 acres “South Bank Heathcote, Hills Road”.

The Port Hills Road was formerly named Hills Road.

In 1863 Phillips subdivided some of his land, marketing it as the Village of St Martins.

First mentioned in the Star in 1871 in a report of a meeting of the Heathcote Road Boad.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

St Martins


City:Christchurch
Source :“European place names”, The Press, 12 January 1924, p 11, “Heathcote Road Board”, Star, 2 August 1871, p 2, The Port Hills of Christchurch, p 175, Early Canterbury runs, p 208, “Rural Sections chosen”, The Lyttelton Times, 29 March 1851, p 6, "Rural Sections chosen", The Lyttelton Times, 22 March 1851, p 6, "Rural Sections chosen", The Lyttelton Times, 1 March 1851, p 6, and Province of Canterbury, New Zealand: list of sections purchased to April 30, 1863, pp 1 & 2