Topic: Bealey Avenue - Christchurch Street

Topic type:

Named by the Canterbury Association surveyors who laid out the boundaries of the original city within roadways called ‘belts’ or ‘town belts’.

Formerly North Belt and North Town Belt.

Named by the Canterbury Association surveyors who laid out the boundaries of the original city within roadways called ‘belts’ or ‘town belts’.

Re-named Bealey Avenue. Named after Samuel Bealey (1821-1909).

North Belt was re-named Bealey Avenue 11 January 1904 after the merging of several boroughs into the City of Christchurch in 1903.

Bealey was Canterbury's third superintendent 1863-1866. The Town Belts were given the name of a superintendent who had connections to the locality. Bealey owned land in this area.

Bealey Avenue was once one of the premier residential streets in the city and may grand residences were built  there from 1860 to WWII, showing changing architectural tastes over the period, sometimes in the same house.

Additional Infomation:

Clark, G. L.  Bealey Avenue Christchurch's North Town Belt: its history and people,  illustrated by A. J. Mair.   Christchurch, Caxton Press, 1976

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Bealey Avenue - Christchurch Street


City:Christchurch
Suburb :Central City