Topic: Criterion House, 225 to 227 High Street, Christchurch

Topic type:

Criterion House at 225-227 High Street was originally constructed in 1883 and designed by architect TS Lambert. The buildng was originally built for Bonnington’s Chemists and Black Beattie & Co Drapers who both occuppied the building.

The Italianate Criterion House at 225-227 High Street was originally constructed in 1883 and designed by architect TS Lambert. The buildng was originally built for Bonnington’s Chemists and Black Beattie & Co Drapers who both occuppied the building. Bonningtons Traded from the building for some time and in approximately 1913 moved to a new building further down the road where the Westpac Trust Bank is now.
 
George Bonnington was a very successful chemist and was well renowned for their Irish Moss cough elixir which is still dispensed today. Black Beattie & Co were successful drapers, Beattie being the younger of the two joined Black in partnership in the new premises. They moved the business from the smaller premises that were adjacent. Beattie was very entrepreneurial and ran a family farm in South Canterbury. Black Beatties premises occupied the two top floors. They were the first retailer in the southern hemisphere to have a pneumatic cashier machine installed.
 
The building was then purchased by Strange and Co, which owned both adjacent buildings where they ran at the time; what was originally Australasia’s largest Department Store, Strange and Co ceased to trade in approximately 1930.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Criterion House, 225 to 227 High Street, Christchurch


City:Christchurch
Name:Criterion House
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Criterion House, 225 to 227 High Street, Christchurch by CityScape is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License