Topic: Ilam Road

Topic type:

Named after Ilam, the home of the Hon. John Charles Watts-Russell (1825-1874).

Named after Ilam, the home of the Hon. John Charles Watts-Russell (1825-1874).

First mentioned in The Press in 1873 when the Riccarton Road Board invites tenders are invited for “forming and gravelling the Ilam Road between Riccarton and Fendalltown”.

It was the carriage drive into Watts-Russell’s home and a private road until 1900 when it first appears in street directories, stretching from Riccarton Road to Burnside Road (later Memorial Avenue) only.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Ilam Road


City:Christchurch
Previous name :Webb’s Road
Source :Fendall’s legacy: a history of Fendalton and north-west Christchurch, p 52, The old cottage at Ilam, built by J. C. Watts-Russell in 1856, and “Advertisements”, The Press, 26 February 1873, p 4
Suburb :Upper Riccarton, Bryndwr, Burnside., and Ilam