Topic: Former Church of the Good Shepherd, 42 Phillips Street

Topic type:

The Church of the Good Shepherd at 42 Phillips Street was built in 1885 and demolished in 2012.

Church of the Good Shepherd, 42 Phillips StreetThe Church of the Good Shepherd at 42 Phillips Street was built in 1885. Its history is marked bv the struggle of its Anglican parishioners to complete the design introduced by Benjamin Mountfort. Almost 100 years passed before the full church was enclosed in brick but bv that time the nature of its parish had changed as markedly as its function; the outward growth of the central industrial district of Christchurch had claimed much of the housing which supported its parishioners, and as its supporters grew older and fewer in number, it changed its focus from an Anglican parish church to the centre for the Anglican Maori Mission.

Later it became St. Mary's Romanian Orthodox Church.

 

The church is placed midway on a side street between two busy roads so it is easily by-passed. However, it warranted close examination on several counts.

It was badly impacted by the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes and was demolished in January 2012.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion