Topic: Bowhill Road

Topic type:

New Brighton street

Named after Thomas Bowhill Thompkins) (1836-1882).Thompkins was a publican, licensee of the Heathcote Arms, manager of the Railway Chop House. He is listed on the 1873/74 Canterbury Provincial electoral roll as owning 20 acres in New Brighton. The street was formed running through Thompkins' land and followed the route of the city and suburban tramline.

First appears in street directories in 1913.

 

 

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Bowhill Road


City:Christchurch
Current name :Bowhill Road
Location :New Brighton
Source :, , , , and “Plan shewing area affected by proposed New Brighton Loan”, CCL Archive 201
Suburb :, , , , and New Brighton