Topic: Madras Street, Christchurch

Topic type:

Madras Street, runs from Edgeware Road to Moorhouse Avenue

Named after the colonial Anglican bishopric of Madras in India.

Named by Joseph Thomas and Edward Jollie.

Madras Street, runs from Edgeware Road to Moorhouse Avenue

One of the original streets of Christchurch named in 1850. The names were taken from bishoprics listed in Burke's Peerage. Madras Street, from North Belt (later Bealey Avenue) to Edgeware Road, became a public road in 1882 on subdivision by the Church Property Trustees of the Anglican Church which owned much of the property in the area.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Madras Street, Christchurch


City:Christchurch