Topic: Heathcote Maltworks

Topic type:

Formally located in Port Hills Road the buildings were demolished in early 2012.

Formally located in Port Hills Road the buildings were demolished in early 2012.

The maltworks date from the 19th century, a time when the area was heavy with industry because of its closeness to Lyttelton. From 1875 the works were owned by grain exporters Royse, Stead and Company. At one time it was among more than 100 maltworks in New Zealand.

The plant's 130-year working life came to an end in late 1999 when its then owner, the Canterbury Malting Company, a joint venture between DB Breweries and Lion Nathan, shifted all malt production to Marton in the North Island.

In 2003, after the Canterbury Malting Company was taken over by French and American interests, the property was sold to Heathcote Property Holdings, which onsold it in 2005 to Roc Mac. That sale went through despite Heathcote Property Holdings putting itself into voluntary liquidation before the deal was done, and later Heathcote director Terence Buxton was bankrupted over a debt connected with the sale.

 

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion