Topic: Larel, 277 Papanui Road, Christchurch
The dwelling Larel at 277 Papanui Road, was built in 1924, and demolished in 2011 due to earthquake damage.
The dwelling at 277 Papanui Road, was known as Larel. The house was built in 1924 to designs by Hart and Reese, architects, for Lionel L Cordery, a city accountant and company director. Cordery was managing director and later governing director of P and D Duncan Ltd, for whom he worked for 64 years. Among his various roles Cordery was chairman of directors of Blackwell Motors Ltd and auditor to Thomas Borthwick and Sons(Australasia) for 40 years. Cordery and his wife Alice named the house from their initials and those of their three sons, Russel, Ernest and Lionel. The house was built in 1924 when the three children had all but left home. The house had only three bedrooms but had a large music room in which Alice Cordery held many musical soirees. Upstairs was a large billiards rooms. Lionel Cordery remained at Larel until 1963 when he died, at the age of 86, his wife having pre-deceased him. In 1964 the property was purchased by Mavis Ava Perfect a dancing teacher. Perfect operated a dancing school from the house, the sprung floor in the music room being ideal for such a purpose. Three years later the house was purchased by Robin Edwards of Cutwell Fabrics. In 1971 the house was purchased by optometrist Edward Curtis who lived there for ten years with his wife, Peggy and their eleven children. The billiards room was divided up to provide bedrooms for some of the children. Donald Maginness, a wool buyer, and his wife Jacqueline, a real estate agent, purchased the property in 1981 and remained there, with their three children, until 2002. The property was purchased in 2003 by Diana Browning and Gary Craig who then sold in 2006 to Larel Investment Ltd.