Topic: Gloucester Street - Christchurch Street

Topic type:

Named after Gloucester, an English bishopric.

Named by surveyors Joseph Thomas (b. 1803) and Edward Jollie (1825-1894).

Gloucester Street starts at Park Terrace in the central city and runs east crossing among others, Colombo Street, Fitzgerald Avenue & Linwood Avenue where it curves north across Woodham Road before finishing at Avonside Drive.

The section of Gloucester Street from Woodham Road to the bridge was before 1916 named Delamain Road. Named after Frederick William Delamain (1835-1910) who owned part of Rural Section 125, 100 acres in "River Avon, Slaughter-house Road" (later Woodham Road) originally purchased by G. A. E. Dashwood.
Delamain Road does not appears in street directories but is mentioned in the Star in 1907. - Christchurch City Libraries. Christchurch street and place names.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Gloucester Street - Christchurch Street


City:Christchurch
Suburb :Linwood and Central City
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Gloucester Street - Christchurch Street by Kete Site Admin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License