Topic: Former Factory, 31 Dundas Street, Christchurch
31 Dundas Street was built for boot manufacturers M. O'Brien & Co in 1901. The business was founded in 1884 by Michael O'Brien, and operated from the Dundas Street factory for 73 years, from 1902 until 1975. The company closed in the 1980s. In 1979 the Dundas Street premises was purchased and renovated by Wragg's Apparel (founded 1976), who used it for clothing manufacture.
31 Dundas Street has historical and social significance for its long association with M. O'Brien & Co, a business that was by the 1950s, one of New Zealand's largest and most well-known footwear manufacturing companies; and with Wragg's, also a well-known Christchurch company. Considered together, apparel manufacture has taken place on the site for over a century
31 Dudas St is located in a short side street, running between Manchester and Colombo Streets. Once something of a centre for footwear manufacture in Christchurch, containing also the Suckling Bros footwear factory, the street today has been largely redeveloped.
The architect of the Dundas St building has not been identified.
Badly damaged in the earthquakes the building was demolished in 2011.