Topic: Durham Street, Christchurch

Topic type:

Named after the bishopric of Durham.

Named by Joseph Thomas (b. 1803) and Edward Jollie (1825-1894) in March 1850.

One of the original streets of Christchurch. The names were taken from bishoprics listed in Burke's Peerage.

The section north of Bealey Avenue was developed in 1930. A Mr Reid of Eversleigh Street requested that the new part be named because his family had come from Enfield, at one time in Middlesex, England and now part of Greater London. Enfield Street appears in street directories in 1933 only. In 1934 it is part of Durham Street.

On 21 October 1985 the council resolved for the two separate sections (with Gloucester Street and Cashel Street in between) of Durham Street to be re-named Durham Street North and South. At the same time a new piece of road from Cashel Street over the Bridge of Remembrance was formally named as Durham Street South.

 Origin of name from Christchurch Street and Place Names

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Durham Street, Christchurch


City:Christchurch