Topic: Manchester Street, Christchurch Street

Topic type:

Named after the English bishopric of Manchester.

Named by surveyors Joseph Thomas (b. 1803) and Edward Jollie (1825-1894).

One of the original streets of Christchurch. The names were taken from bishoprics listed in Burke's Peerage.

First mentioned in the Star in 1868 and appears in street directories as early as 1878.

Manchester Street from North Belt (later Bealey Avenue) to Dean Street (later Purchas Street), became a public road in 1899 on subdivision by the Church Property Trustees of the Anglican Church which owned much of the property in the area.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion