Topic: The Tivoli, Cathedral Square

Topic type:

Former Cinema in Cathedral Square

Everybody's Theatre was opened in 1915 in the north-west corner of Cathedral Square. In 1934 it was completely re-designed in art deco style by Cecil Wood (1878-1947) with input from Paul Pascoe (1908-1976) and was opened as the Tivoli in March 1934.

The name Tivoli was given because of its association with entertainment and the theatre. Its façade was altered again in 1971 and it became the Westend Theatre

To some it was known as the hang-out of a rough sort of youth in the 1950s and 1960s.

The theatre closed down in 1994.

Property developer David Henderson bought the building in 2003 and found the old Tivoli façade intact under later additions. It was cleaned up and repainted in colours as close to the 1930s as possible with Henderson envisaging a complex of tourist shops and a theaterette.

These efforts failed and in 2007 he decided viable use of the site required total demolition. Demolition contractors moved in on 9 May 2007.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion