Topic: Elizabeth House, 6 Circuit Street, Merivale

Topic type:

Elizabeth House was designed by Samuel Hurst Seager in the Tudor Revival style and built 1914. It was demolished post-earthquake in August 2011.

Built for local solicitor S. G. Raymond and named "Clarisford",  the house had several more private owners until 1950 when it was jointly purchased by four patriotic and charitable organisations the Navy League, the Royal Victoria League, the Royal Commonwealth Society & the English Speaking Union.    Other orgainisations such as the Nurse Maude Association, used it for regular meetings and it was also a popular wedding venue. 

It was renamed and incorporated as  "Elizabeth House" in honour of the new queen, Elizabeth II.   In 1964 it served as "government house" for six weeks during the visit to Christchurch of the then Governor General, Bernard Fergusson.

The building had a C classificaiton from the Historic Places Trust and was a protected building in the Christchurch City Council 2009 City Plan.

It was sold in the early 21st Century, was extensively renovated in 2005 and continued as a function centre and wedding venue until it was damaged in the 2010-2011 earthquakes and demolished in August 2011.

Sources: The Register,  New Zealand Historic Places Trust, archived in  Ceismic.

Christchurch Mail, 9 September 2005.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion