Topic: Statham, Cathedral Grammar School, 8 Chester Street West

Topic type:

Statham, 8 Chester Street West by Cecil8 Chester St (1929), known as the Statham Building, was the oldest remaining purpose-built building of prominent Christchurch educational institution, the Cathedral Grammar School.  Cathedral Grammar was founded in 1881 as a prepatory school for the choristers of Christ Church Cathedral.  It re-opened in its present form as a separate entity in 1923.  The Statham Building originally contained the school's assembly hall, gymnasium and classrooms. 

8 Chester St has architectural and aesthetic significance as a successful adaptation of the Georgian (or more properly a William and Mary) idiom for the purposes of a contemporary institutional building.  The Neo-Georgian style was a popular conservative interwar style in Canterbury, combining historical precedent with a clarity of expression.  The building is also significant as an expression of the open-air school concept, the contemporary belief that children's learning would benefit from the maximisation of fresh air and sunshine in their classrooms. The building has further significance as the work of architect William Trengrove.  The Trengrove family of architects have had an on-going relationship with Cathedral Grammar, and have designed many buildings on the school site.   

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Statham, Cathedral Grammar School, 8 Chester Street West


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Statham, Cathedral Grammar School, 8 Chester Street West by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License