Topic: Wilsons Road, Christchurch

Topic type:

The northern part of Wilsons Road runs from Fifield Terrace by the Heathcote River to the Ferry Road/Moorhouse Avenue intersection, while the southern part runs from across the Heathcote at Riverlaw Terrace near Waltham Road to Centaurus Road.

At one time a stock route, it was either named after William Barbour Wilson (1819- 1897), nurseryman and local politician OR  after the Rev. James Wilson (1813-1886) who built his hosue on the site of the present Waltham Park. 

It is possible that the northern section of Wilsons Road was named after William Wilson, and the southern section after the Rev. James Wilson.   - Source:  Christchurch City Libraries. Christchurch street and place names.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Wilsons Road, Christchurch


City:Christchurch