Topic: Excelsior Hotel, 120 Manchester Street, Christchurch

Topic type:

There has been a hotel on this site since 'The Harp of Erin' was erected in 1865. 

The name changed to the Borough Hotel in 1870 and then Barrett's Family Hotel in 1878 when it was purchased by John Barrett. Barrett made the decision to rebuild the hotel, engaging  architect W B Armson to design the new building which was completed in 1882.

In 1890 the hotel changed hands and became Burke's Family Hotel and in 1900 it was renamed the Shamrock.

In 1906 the name was again changed to the Excelsior, the name it has retained to the present day. In the late 1990s the hotel was purchased by the Christchurch Heritage Trust and refurbished. It continued to operate as a hotel and back-packers accommodation prior to the earthquakes.

Badly damaged it was partially demolished and the west façade remained until 2016

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Excelsior Hotel, 120 Manchester Street, Christchurch


City:Christchurch
Suburb :Central City
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Excelsior Hotel, 120 Manchester Street, Christchurch by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License