Topic: Former Dalley's Fruit, Grain and Produce, 7 Riccarton Road, Christchurch

Topic type:

The building was built in 1906 for J Hanna for use as a grocery store.

On 1 January 1913 the newly formed Riccarton Borough Council held its first meeting in the building. Dalley's Fruit, Grain and Produce Ltd was established in 1935 by Doug Dalley. Dalley purchased the building in 1945 and was joined in the business in 1947 by Terry Davidson. In 1964 Davidson and Graham Duffield took over the business, retaining the Dalleys name. By the mid 1990s the business was run by Teryy Davidson and his brother Errol. Dalley's became a general produce, garden and hardware store, known for its lawn fertiliser, all-purpose manure and Harold Logan mixture, a high protein horse feed mix, made on the premises and sold nationwide. Many well-known racehorses were fed from Dalley's store. In 1986 the building was sold to Donald and David Yan and Eileen Wong. Dalley's continued to trade from the shop until well into the 1990s.

Prior to the 2010 earthquakes a second hand book store, run by St Christopher's Church, operated from the building.

Badly damaged by the earthquakes the building was demolished

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Former Dalley's Fruit, Grain and Produce, 7 Riccarton Road, Christchurch


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Former Dalley's Fruit, Grain and Produce, 7 Riccarton Road, Christchurch by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License