Topic: New Brighton

Topic type:

The Christchurch suburb of New Brighton

 New Brighton mall bollards and the fountainDescendants of the first English settlers have said that the name was conferred on the spur of the moment when William Guise Brittan (1809-1876), then head of the Waste Lands Board, paid a visit to the run, supposedly on 16 December 1860. As he drew near he was recognised. One of the pioneers, William Free, hastily chalked ‘New Brighton’ on a piece of wood and nailed it over the sawpit where he was working, probably because Stephen Brooker, another settler, had been born in Brighton.

When the settlement was founded in 1860, it was expected that it would be a second port.
New Brighton is first mentioned in The Lyttelton Times in 1862. The area did not become a borough until 1896.
Named officially in 1953.
The Maori name for the area that became New Brighton was O-rua-paeroa: an east wind blowing along the shore.

New Brighton land for sale    Rainestown land for sale

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

New Brighton

Source :“O-rua-paeroa”, Star, 8 May 1896, p 2 “New Brighton memories”, Star, 12 February 1895, p 2 “Old New Brighton”, The Star, 29 April 1922, p 8 “Early New Brighton”, Star, 20 May 1922, p 6 “History of New Brighton”, The Lyttelton Times, 5 December 1925, p 8 The evolution of a city, p 34 Burwood All Saints’ Church 1877-1977, p 2 North New Brighton, 1953, pp 6-7 Information supplied by Richard Greenaway in 2010. “Electoral district of Avon”, The Lyttelton Times, 16 April 1862, p 6 “Naming of New Brighton”, The Press, 1 March 1949, p 3 “Brighton’s pioneers are recalled”, Christchurch Star-Sun, 3 October 1949, p 2 “New Brighton district”, The Press, 23 June 1953, p 7 “Growth of New Brighton from a sandy waste to a prosperous community”, The Christchurch Star, 19 December 1958, p 2