Topic: Straven Road

Topic type:

Formerly Cuddon's Lane, the section running of Fendalton Road.

Named after William Cuddon (1835-1924).

Re-named Straven Road.

Named after Strathaven (pron. Strayven), a town in South Lanarkshire, Scotland, about 30 miles east of Kilmarnock.Cuddon's Lane first appears in street directories in 1894. Cuddon established a brewery and malthouse on the corner of Fendalton Road and Cuddon's Lane in 1869.

Re-named Straven Road in 1908.

As late as 1955 Straven Road was still divided into two streets, Straven Road Riccarton and Straven Road Fendalton.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Straven Road


City:Christchurch
Previous name :Cuddon’s Lane
Suburb :Riccarton and Fendalton