Topic: Sydenham Heritage Church

Topic type:

Sydenham Heritage Church started life as the Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1878. It is older than Christchurch's Anglican Cathedral.

The need for a permanent home for the growing Sydenham congregation lead to the construction of the stone church on the corner of Colombo and Brougham Streets.

The building was designed by Crouch and Wilson, architects from Melbourne, who had earlier designed the Durham Street Methodist Church. Local Architect TS Lambert was appointed the "superintending architect" and due to budgetary constraints was forced to change part of the original design. Two large vestries with organ chamber and spire above were left out of the building contract, which explains the unfinished plastered west wall with protruding keystones.

The plan of the Colombo Street Church follows the Methodist "preaching hall" theme. The facade is described as Early English Gothic with simple, strong geometric forms and lancet windows.

Lambert, who supervised the project, designed the United Services Hotel, Cathedral Square, now demolished. Of his few surviving works, Highlight House on the corner of Manchester and Cashel Streets, is the best known.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Sydenham Heritage Church


Materials:Halswell stone, concrete, stained glass windows
City:Christchurch
Name:Crouch and Wilson