Topic: Radley Street, Opawa, Christchurch

Topic type:

Radley Street runs from Garlands Road to the Radley Bridge at Ferry Road.

Radley Street and Garlands Road intersection, 26 February 2010

Originally named Normanby Street, it was later re-named Radley Street. Named after Radley, a property in Isis Street belonging to the Kent family which in turn was named after Radley in Oxfordshire.

As Normanby Street it first appears in street directories in 1896 as “a continuation of Heathcote Street from Radley bridge”.   Radley Street is first mentioned in The Press in 1910 and first appears in street directories in 1911. Edward Kent (1820?- 1855) and Isaac Luck (1817-1881) took up Rural Section 64, 150 acres on the “South Bank River Heathcote, near Christchurch Quay”. He named his property Isis Farm. When his widow remarried in 1859, her address was Isis Farm, River Heathcote. The property was later renamed Radley.  - Source: Christchurch City Libraries. Christchurch Street and Place Names.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Radley Street, Opawa, Christchurch


City:Christchurch
Suburb :Opawa
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Radley Street, Opawa, Christchurch by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License