Topic: Dyers Pass Road, Christchurch

Topic type:

Dyers Pass Road runs from the Southern end of Colombo Street at the roundabout with Colombo St, Cashmere & Centaurus roads and winds up the city side of the Port Hills and down the harbour side to Governors Bay.

 During its course it crosses Hackthorne Road and later joins with it at the Sign of the Takahe.   It skirts the length of Victoria Park and crosses the Summit Road at the Sign of the Kiwi.    The Harry Elll walkway runs parallel to the road from Victoria Park to the Sign of the Kiwi.

The road is one of the oldest ways over the hill. Maori used it to travel to their villages and pallisaded pa at Governors Bay (Ohinetahi).

It was first used by Pakeha as a horse track.   Road formation was undertaken by the Provincial Government from 1862-63.

It was formerly known as Governors Bay Road, a name which now applies to the road from Lyttelton to Governors Bay.

Dyers Pass Road is named after John Dyer (1828-1876)  who bought several parcels of land in Governors Bay. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Dyers Pass Road, Christchurch


City:Christchurch