Topic: The Octagon, Former Trinity Congregational Church - State Trinity Centre

Topic type:

The Octagon, on the corner of Worcester and Manchester streets. Formerly a church, and later used as a performance space, and then restaurant.

The Octagon, on the corner of Worcester and Manchester streets. Formerly a church, and later used as a performance space, and then restaurant.

The church was designed by Benjamin Mountfort, and built in 1874.

The Trinity Congregational Church was sold in 1974 to State Insurance, who owned the building west of the church.The building was renamed the State Trinity Centre.  Trinity Congregational Church was used as a performing arts centre for the community. The building was earthquake strengthend and opend to the public on 22 November 1975.

Alan Slade bought the building in 1993, and restored it for use as a restaurant - named The Octagon, which opened for business in 2006.

The building was damaged in the September 2010 and Boxing Day 2010 earthquakes, and extensively damaged in the February 2011 earthquake.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion