Topic: Sparks Road, Halswell Street

Topic type:


Sparks Road is first mentioned in The Press in 1917.


Part of the street was originally an extension of Frankleigh Street from Lyttelton Street. It was incorporated into Sparks Road on 1 September 1948 when 120 streets were re-named.

Named after Samuel Sparks (1845-1921) and his family.

Sparks arrived in Canterbury in 1879 and bought farmland on the Cashmere Estate. His son, Horace Samuel Sparks (1888-1959), a dairyman, is a resident of the street in 1928, the first year it appears in street directories.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion