Sydenham Heritage Church -Corner

Original Filename: ColomboStreet343Corner.jpg (view)

Original Size: 918.7 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Sydenham Heritage Church -Corner.

Caption

Sydenham Heritage Church is located at  343 Colombo Street and started life as the Wesleyan Methodist Church

The building was designed in the Gothic Revival style in 1877 by the Melbourne architectural firm of Crouch and Wilson and the building was opened in February 1878.

In the 1960s with church attendance generally dropping, the church closed in 1971. The Seventh-day Adventist Church leased the building for a time, before it was sold to the Christian Congregational Church of Samoa.

The building was purchased in 2001 by the Sydenham Heritage Trust, with an aim of restoration and earthquake strengthening.

Photograph taken 2 November 2004

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion