Tivoli demolition

Original Filename: Tivoli_demolition_2007-05-24___5_.JPG (view)

Original Size: 2 MB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Tivoli demolition .

Caption

Everybody’s Theatre was opened in 1915 in the north-west corner of Cathedral Square. In 1934 it was completely re-designed in art deco style by Cecil Wood (1878-1947) with input from Paul Pascoe (1908-1976) and was opened as the Tivoli in March 1934.

The name Tivoli was given because of its association with entertainment and the theatre. Its façade was altered again in 1971 and it became the Westend Theatre


The theatre closed down in 1994 and in 2003 developers found the old Tivoli façade intact under later additions. It was cleaned up and repainted in colours as close to the 1930s as possible however the building was to be no more and demolition contractors moved in on 9 May 2007.

 Photograph taken 24 May 2007.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion