Group on a guided tour of the Cracroft Caverns, 2002

Original Filename: CCCArch-Caverns125.jpg (view)

Original Size: 152.8 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Group on a guided tour of the Cracroft Caverns, 2002.

Caption

The Cracroft Caverns, also known as the Cashmere Caverns, were constructed in 1942 during World War II in response to the perceived threat of a Japanese invasion.They were re-discovered in 1987.  

The caverns are now in the ownership of the Christchurch City Council and used as a ring laser experimental laboratory set up by the University of Canterbury's Physics Department;.   Both the laboratory and the caverns are currently closed due to the Canterbury earthquakes. 

The caverns were open from time to time for public tours.

Date taken: November 2002

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Group on a guided tour of the Cracroft Caverns, 2002


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Group on a guided tour of the Cracroft Caverns, 2002 by CCCArch is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License