Stairs down into the Cracroft Caverns

Original Filename: CCCArch-Caverns126.jpg (view)

Original Size: 178.2 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Stairs down into the Cracroft Caverns .

Caption

The Cracroft Caverns, also known as the Cashmere Caverns, were constructed in 1942 during World War II in response to the perceived threat of a Japanese invasion.They were re-discovered in 1987.  

The caverns are now in the ownership of the Christchurch City Council and used as a ring laser experimental laboratory set up by the University of Canterbury's Physics Department;.   Both the laboratory and the caverns are currently closed due to the Canterbury earthquakes.  

These stairs would presumably have been accessed from inside the Cracroft-Wilson homestead before it was sestryed by fire in 1945.

Date taken: November 2002

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Stairs down into the Cracroft Caverns


Suburb :Cashmere
City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Stairs down into the Cracroft Caverns by CCCArch is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License